1 - 0
Full Time



Tom Clarke reports as the Mariners knock higher league opposition out of a cup competition for the fifth time this season…

Marine made it 11 wins in cup competitions this season by overcoming Hyde United by a goal to nil to reach the Second Round of the Buildbase FA Trophy on Saturday afternoon.

400 fans returned to the MTA for the fixture, and the team received a guard of honour from committee members to welcome them back following the FA Cup Second Round victory a fortnight prior to the game.

The Mariners were quick out of the blocks with the momentum of their previous result, threatening from several set-pieces early on through dead-ball specialist Josh Hmami and the electric Neil Kengni.

Former Mariner Liam Tongue saw a couple of long-range efforts drift wide of the mark in the opening exchanges, but the home back line stood firm.

There was a double injury blow for the Mariners shortly before half-time as Mikey Howard limped off and Niall Cummins suffered a suspected broken nose after receiving a kick to the face.

Another ex-Mariner Andy Hollins received his marching orders on the hour mark for a second yellow card offence when pulling back Kengni, who was looking to stretch the Hyde defence. bstitute Ryan Wignall found a way through on 65 minutes when he was slipped in and slotted the ball past Joe Green from inside the box.

David Raven was booked for a foul on the edge of the box on 69 minutes, and Tongue stepped up to take the free-kick. He hit in hard and low, but Josh Solomon-Davies slid in with a crucial block to prevent Bayleigh Passant from having to make a save.

James Barrigan almost doubled Marine’s lead shortly after when a ball from midfield found him at the far post, but his effort was wide.

Raven was shown a second yellow card with ten minutes left on the clock after making another challenge on the edge of the box which the referee deemed to be enough to dismiss the defender.

Hyde received the third sending off of the game with two minutes left when Bradley Roscoe saw red for pulling back Kengni as the forward looked to race through on goal.

The visitors threw on Assistant Manager and defender John McCombe up front for the final moments, but couldn’t find a way past the Marine defence.

The Mariners ultimately progressed to the next round, and now welcome Southport to the MTA on Tuesday evening. Ticket details will be announced on social media in due course.

Marine: Bayleigh Passant, Josh Solomon-Davies, James Joyce, James Devine, Anthony Miley, David Raven, Mikey Howard (Ryan Wignall, 44), Josh Hmami (Danny Shaw, 90), Niall Cummins (Adam Hughes, 45), Neil Kengni, James Barrigan.

Unused subs: Germano Mendes, Kenny Strickland.

Hyde United: Joe Green, Bradley Roscoe, Kyle Brownhill, Kingsley James, Andy Hollins, Tom Morris, Theo Bailey-Jones (Jack Sherratt, 42), Liam Tongue (John McCombe, 87), Tom Pratt, Paddy Lane, Chinedu Uche (Seydou Bamba, 77).

Unused subs: Riccardo Longato, Ethan Beckford.

Attendance: 400.

Goals: Ryan Wignall (65).

Referee: Neil Evans. Assistant referees: Jacob Viera, Elliott Bell.



The Marine Travel Arena
College Rd, Crosby, Liverpool, England, L23 3AS, United Kingdom