2 - 1
Full Time


Adam Yates reports from the Marine Travel Arena…
On a windy Saturday afternoon, Marine recorded their first pre-season win against a Blackpool Xl
The opening few minutes were dominated by the Mariners. Blackpool’s goalkeeper (Baudsley) was under pressure from the get go. An Owen Robinson shot went wide in the sixth minute and an 8th minute routine backpass nearly transformed into a own goal blooper but the Seasiders keeper managed to compose himself and clear the ball.
But Marine smelled blood and the first goal came shortly after…
A dangerous free kick was only partly cleared and the ball fell to defender Chris Doyle who shot across Bardsley who could not prevent the ball reaching the net to an appreciative home crowd applause.
Marine’s early goal prompted Blackpool to mentally switch on and their equaliser came within minutes with some neat play in attack.
Two of Marine’s starting 11 were potential players on trial and it was the impressive outfielding Trialist (no.10) who managed to win a corner on the wing. That corner made its way onto two Mariner heads and the latter of those was Liam Nolan. Liam ducked at the far post and made a controlled and assured header into the net and gave Marine the lead they had lost only minutes prior.
The rest of the first half was a spate of composed passing play but half chances for Marine.
Shots by the energetic Trialist, Joe Ferguson and Owen Robinson were enjoyed by the captivated main stand but held by either the GK or the protective netting behind him. New signing Nathan Woodthorpe was handed a yellow just before the break and the players headed for the changing rooms.
The second half proved to be a battle against not only a trailing Tangerines side but the windy conditions that they seemed to bring with them from Lancashire. High balls proved troublesome so passing on the ground was typically the order of the day. The second half was also a chance for the two teams to effectively clear their subs benches and give all their players much needed minutes to achieve the target of match fitness. Blackpool executed a triple change and all of Marine’s squad players were given a decent run out.
After an hour of play, Marine continued to have the upper hand but Blackpool were knocking at the door and that door was nearly opened when a Seasiders throw in was suddenly a major threat. A temporary bout of indecisive defending from Marine warranted a couple of shots from Blackpool which proved weak in nature.
In the midst of the many substitutions, defender Chris Doyle suddenly became an attacking presence and that tactic nearly paid off if it were not for Bardsley’s gloves. Meanwhile on the other side of the pitch, Marine’s Trialist goalkeeper was replaced by Richard Cowderoy and he was soon called into action in the 83rd minute but made a confident low save to his left post.
The last few minutes amounted to both teams cancelling each other out and the Lilywhites held out 2-1 winners in front of a crowd of over 400 fans.
Next Up – On Friday night, the Mariners hope to continue where they left off as they entertain The Bucks aka Bootle FC in a local clash at Marine Travel Arena for a 7.30pm kick off.

Marine: 1 Trialist, 2 Joe Ferguson, 3 Nathan Woodthorpe, 4 Chris Doyle, 5 Matty Brown, 6 Josh Wardle, 7 Jordan Lussey, 8. Liam Nolan, 9 Owen Robinson, 10 Trialist, 11 Louis White.

Substitutes: 12 Liam Paton, 13 Richard Cowderoy, 14 Jonathan Spittle, 15 Kyle Hayde, 16 Michael Carberry, 17 Toby Jones, 19 Leighton Rimmer, 20 Luke Crompton.

Blackpool XI: Starters from Harvey Bardsley, Kwaku Donkor, Tyler HIll, Johnson Opawole, Will Squires, Trialist, Luke Mariette, Tayt Trusty, Owen Moffat, Jake Daniels and Trialist (11)

Substitutes: Mateo Spinelli, Josh Nyame, Trialist, Dannen Francis and Taylor Bowen

Referee: Mr. Scott Jackson.

Attendance: 403.



The Marine Travel Arena
College Rd, Crosby, Liverpool, England, L23 3AS, United Kingdom