2 - 0
Full Time



Tom Clarke reports on another game, another Josh Hmami free-kick scored…

Marine were 2-0 victors at home to Tadcaster on Saturday afternoon, following yet another goal from a dead ball for Josh Hmami and a second from the spellbinding Welsh under-21 international Mo Touray.

The Mariners were out of the blocks quickly with a couple of chances falling to Ryan Wignall, the second only just over the bar following a nod on from Niall Cummins.

The visitors almost opened the scoring just inside ten minutes, however, when David Raven was forced to clear the ball off the line from a second Tadcaster effort after Bayleigh Passant had made the initial save.

Salford City loanee Mo Touray caught the eye throughout the contest, and linked up well on the left with James Joyce to create a couple more early chances.

Cummins went close twice as the game neared the half-hour mark, once with a header from a James Barrigan free kick which had to be saved, and once from a corner which away ‘keeper Aaron Burn turned away before David Raven almost knocked in the rebound but a defender managed to block.

When Marine won a free kick on the edge of the box on 34 minutes, there were no prizes for guessing what would happen next given Hmami’s recent form from dead ball situations. The midfielder curled the ball beyond Burn and into the Tadcaster net to give Neil Young’s men the lead.

Just four minutes later, Touray received the ball in a similar position to the free-kick, lost his defender with a step-over, and fired the ball past a despairing Burn for the Mariners’ quick-fire double.

Marine almost added a third on the stroke of half time when Wignall and Cummins slid in to meet a Barrigan cross. Wignall’s initial effort was saved and the referee blew for a foul on the goalkeeper as the captain arrived, to some vocal protests from Cummins which rather entertained the fans in the MTA main stand.

Tadcaster pushed back in the second half in search of a goal, but Marine’s four-man defence proved resolute. Touray kept the fans entertained, continuously sitting down a host of Tadcaster defenders with his flicks and tricks.

Young ensured fresh legs were introduced to protect the lead, with Josh Solomon-Davies returning from injury to replace Kenny Strickland early on in the half, before Neil Kengni and James Ellison were introduced later on in the places of Wignall and Cummins respectively.

The Mariners ultimately held off Tadcaster to come away with the 2-0 win. Their attentions now face to the Emirates FA Cup, where they host Nantwich Town at 7.45pm on Tuesday evening. Tickets can be purchased via the following link:

Marine: Bayleigh Passant, Kenny Strickland (Josh Solomon Davies, 64), James Joyce, Alex Doyle, Anthony Miley, David Raven, Ryan Wignall (Neil Kengni, 80), Josh Hmami, Niall Cummins (James Ellison, 90), Mo Touray, James Barrigan.
Unused subs: James Devine, Germano Mendes.

Tadcaster Albion: Aaron Burn, Daniel Hartley, Jack Vann, Jack Crook (Jake Rose, 63), Ioan Evans, Andrew Milne, Ify Ofoegbu (Junayd Pandor, 46), Simon Russell, Bailey Thompson, Kevin dos Santos (Omar Sanyang, 60), Erico Sousa.
Unused subs: Will Appleyard, Rinor Ejupi.

Goals: Josh Hmami (34), Mo Touray (38).

Referee: Matthew McQuillan. Assistant referees: Adam Sefton, Daniel Chadwick.

Attendance: 298.



The Marine Travel Arena
College Rd, Crosby, Liverpool, England, L23 3AS, United Kingdom