Tom Wardle reports as Dunn goes from zero to hero to rescue Mariners a point…

Jack Dunn’s second half header was enough to earn Marine a point in the Northern Premier League, when they drew 1-1 at Bamber Bridge on Tuesday evening. Dunn redeemed himself with the equaliser, as he saw his first half penalty saved moments after Isaac Sinclair gave the home side the lead. Although the Mariners had chances to win the match, the result prevented The Brig from making it four straight wins in all competitions.

Sean Smith created the visitors’ first opportunity in the opening seconds. The left back had space to drive into and put a cross into the box where DJ Pedro was picked out, but the Salford loanee missed the ball completely.

Five minutes later, Smith was at it again down the left flank, this time he opted to go himself and pulled the trigger at goal, which prompted Felix Goddard into a smart stop.

Despite Marine’s early sights of goal, it was the hosts who took the lead. A slip at the back by Josh Wardle allowed Fin Sinclair-Smith to strike an initial effort from the edge of the box. His shot deflected straight into the path of Sinclair who was able to divert the ball past Bayleigh Passant.

Bamber Bridge should’ve doubled their lead straight after the kick off. A set piece was swung towards the back post where Harvey Hughes cleanly connected with the ball, but narrowly put it wide from close range.

Then the Mariners had the perfect chance to level the game, when Pedro was brought down inside the box, referee Abid Hussain immediately pointing to the spot. Dunn stepped up, but Goddard was equal to it, saving the shot to his left.

Joe Ferguson returned to the starting line-up following his suspension on the weekend, and almost rewarded his manager’s faith. He came inside on his left foot and curled an effort from the edge of the area, causing Goddard to scramble across his goal, but The Brig number one was fortunate to see the ball whistle past his post.

The second half painted a much more physical contest, with an excess of yellow cards being handed out to both teams.

It took until the 77th minute for Marine to finally get their much-deserved goal. Smith had time to deliver a delightful cross, finding Dunn who had made a darting run to the front post and was able to flick the ball into the back of the net.

Nathan Pond had a couple of chances to win it at the death for Bamber Bridge, but the Mariners defended resolutely to claim a point on their travels.

Marine’s next fixture is on Saturday, when they will entertain Gainsborough Trinity for a 3pm kick off at the MTA.

Bamber Bridge: Goddard, Skinner, Hughes (Scarborough 75), Thomson, Wilson ©, Pond, Green (Alabi 81), Perkins, Dawson, Sinclair-Smith, Sinclair.

Unused Substitutes: Riding, Osei Kofi, Blair.

Marine: Passant, Ferguson, Smith, C.Doyle, Wardle ©, Clark, Lussey, A.Doyle (Weir 90), Adams (Campbell 66), Dunn, Pedro (Bahula 55).

Unused Substitutes: Touray, Mendes.

Attendance: 345

Leave a comment