Tom Wardle Reports as Marine Hold on to Extend Unbeaten Streak in Nottingham…

Freddie Price’s and Hayden Campbell’s first half goals were enough to advance Marine into the next round of the Isuzu FA Trophy, as they defended a late onslaught to win 2-1 at Basford United. Gregg Smith pulled one back just after the hour mark, however the Mariners stood firm to extend their unbeaten run to nine games in all competitions.

Price was recalled to Neil Young’s starting eleven and was gifted a golden opportunity in the first five minutes. A loose pass along the Basford backline was picked up by the winger, who had a one-on-one with goalkeeper Kieran Preston. Though Lions’ number one stood firm to prevent an early goal.

In the 19th minute, Marine took the lead. Campbell lofted a ball in from the left wing onto the incoming Price. The former Morecambe forward was able to get in front of the defender and glanced his header into the far corner, scoring his first for the club.

Bayleigh Passant had to stand firm to deny an instant equaliser, when Tyreace Palmer was sent in behind and struck an effort towards goal. Passant blocked the initial shot, the ball then fell to Anthony Dwyer but he couldn’t turn his attempt home.

Just before the interval, Campbell doubled the away side’s advantage. A long ball forward travelled the length of the pitch to Sol Solomon who neatly flicked it off to his teammate Campbell. The forward drilled a low shot to Preston’s near post which caught the goalkeeper off guard and gave Marine a comfortable lead in a game that had been a fairly even contest.

Josh Solomon-Davies was unfortunate not to net his first of the season inside the second half. The ball teed up nicely for the full back who had made multiple advancing runs throughout the match. He took on the effort and the ball cannoned off the crossbar.

Basford brought on experienced striker Smith on the hour mark. He repaid his manager five minutes later. A knock forward was challenged in the air which fell kindly for Smith. He fired a strike on the edge of the box which took a slight deflection before nestling into the bottom corner.

The Mariners had to defend waves of Lions’ attacks heading into the closing stages at Greenwich Avenue. A scramble on the goal line saw the ball shoot off the crossbar, though the Crosby side did just enough to keep their lead intact and place their name in the hat for Monday’s draw.

Marine return to league action on Tuesday night, as we welcome Gainsborough Trinity to the MTA for a 7:45pm kick off.

Basford United: Preston, McGowen, Barnes, Chapman (Grantham 88), Roma ©, Irvine, Patrick (Munakandafa 60), Clark (Smith 60), Palmer, Dwyer, Starkie.

Unused Substitutes: Dunn, Peters, Musson, Betram.

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies (A.Doyle 87), Smith (Barrigan 69), Lussey, Wardle ©, Spittle, Weir, C.Doyle, Price, Solomon, Campbell (Evans 54).

Unused Substitutes: Clark, Mendes, Touray.

Attendance: 229.

Leave a comment