Tom Wardle Reports as Lewis Earl’s Last-Gasp Header Gives 10-Man Marine All Three Points…

Lewis Earl sent the travelling Marine fans home in high spirits following his stoppage time winner in the Lilywhites’ 2-1 win at Belper Town this afternoon. Sol Solomon headed the Mariners into the lead, though Tom Wilson drew The Nailers level on the stroke of half time. The game looked to be fizzling out into a point-a-piece, but Earl’s first goal since joining the Crosby side keeps Marine in touching distance of the play-offs.

Neil Young was forced into one change from the 1-0 victory to Stalybridge Celtic on Tuesday. An injury to Accrington Stanley loanee Liam Isherwood was fortunately met with the return of Bayleigh Passant, who marked his 100th appearance for the club.

The early stages of the match saw the visitors set the tempo without really troubling Tom Jackson.

An opportunity arose for the hosts when a long ball over the top broke Marine’s offside trap. Rio Molyneaux cut in and bent a shot towards goal that Passant securely pushed wide.

On 42 minutes Solomon broke the deadlock with his 12th goal of the season. James Barrigan’s delivery found the head of Josh Wardle who played it into the path of the Jerseyman. Solomon adjusted his position before nodding the ball into the net.

The Mariners’ lead lasted just three minutes. A corner was collected by Wilson who floated the ball on target and brought The Nailers level at the break.

After the interval, Marine found themselves a man down. A coming together involving Jackson and Wardle was deemed dangerous by referee James Lunn, who awarded the visiting captain a straight red card, despite minimal appeals from the home side.

Having a player less didn’t prevent the Mariners from having a plethora of second half chances.

Solomon’s pacey cross from the right was perfectly aimed to Joe Bunney, however the striker couldn’t find the target with his header.

A minute later Solomon almost netted his second of the game. He ran through the opposite flank one on one with Jackson, but an attempt to dink the ‘keeper was palmed out for a corner.

Charley Doyle squandered a huge opportunity with the final whistle looming. A mistake by Jackson was pounced on by the midfielder who blazed over from inside the box on the volley.

In the dying seconds of the match, Marine found their winner. Substitute Jordan Lussey launched a throw in towards the danger zone. Earl leapt the highest and directed his header into the bottom corner to take the points back to Merseyside.

Marine return to the MTA next Saturday with Morpeth Town the visitors for a 3pm kick off.

Belper Town: Jackson, Rhodes, Algar, H.Middleton ©, Wilson, Jordan, Molyneaux, Burrows (Tague 77), Greaves (Avery 86), Litchfield, Tuton (Reaney 60).

Unused Substitutes: B.Middleton, Smith-Eccles.

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies, Smith, Earl, Wardle ©, Spittle, Barrigan (Lussey 74), C.Doyle, Bunney, Solomon, Scarisbrick (Weir 83).

Unused Substitutes: Clark, A.Doyle, Touray.

Attendance: 588

Leave a comment