Tom Wardle Reports as Marine suffer stoppage time heartbreak to lose in Gainsborough…

A well-fought draw was snatched away from Marine as Fraser Preston’s goal at the death gave Gainsborough Trinity maximum points in the Northern Premier League last night. It was a difficult evening for numerous reasons, with the game kicking off almost an hour late due to severe traffic holding the visiting team coach back.

Neil Young made two changes from Saturday’s win over FC United in a heavily disrupted build up to the match. Josh Solomon-Davies and Mark Howarth replaced Ben Hodkinson and Joe Hardy.

The opening to the game was fairly tight, with the hosts trying their luck through crosses from the flanks.

Joe Bunney started the match at the top end of the pitch alongside Sol Solomon and fashioned the Mariners’ first sight of goal midway through the half. A ball was played to the striker who looked one on one with Matt Yates, though with the angle tightening, he could only strike it at the ‘keeper’s feet.

With the half time whistle approaching, Solomon tried his luck with a curling effort that was comfortably palmed away by Yates.

Gainsborough went close when Dylan Cogill attempted an audacious drive from his own half that landed slightly the wrong side of the post.

Kyle Hayde forced Yates into a fine save seconds after the restart. The defender cut in from the left wing and fired a shot towards the top corner which the ‘keeper pushed away.

The Holy Blues’ top scorer Clayton Donaldson whistled an effort narrowly over the bar when he was allowed time to shoot from the edge of the box.

The home side continued to push for an opener when Bayleigh Passant was on high alert to make a crucial save from Tyrell Sellars-Fleming. A wicked delivery picked out the substitute though Passant made himself big to keep the game level.

Marine had the ball in the net when Solomon poked home following Jordan Lussey’s long throw-in. However the referee halted play for an infringement in the build-up.

Curtis Durose missed the target from close range after he was found lurking at the back post with a quarter of an hour left to play.

Gainsborough gave the Mariners a warning heading into added time, when Liam Waldock arched an attempt off the top of the crossbar.

Though they were able to break the deadlock in the dying seconds through Preston. Durose’s cross from deep picked out the unmarked substitute who stabbed the ball into the net to take away what would’ve been a well-deserved point for Marine.
Marine will look to bounce back on Saturday when they make the journey to Whitby Town for a 3pm kick off.

Gainsborough Trinity: Yates, Hornshaw, West, Conway (Wright 78), Rice, Cogill, Munakandafa (Sellars-Fleming 60), Durose, Donaldson, Waldock, Lewis (Preston 83).

Unused Substitutes: Cann, Dyche.

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies, Hayde (Smith 63), Howarth, Wardle ©, Johnson, Lussey, Doyle, Bunney (Hodkinson 60), Solomon, Weir (Hardy 78).

Unused Substitutes: Mendes, Clark.

Attendance: 533.

Leave a comment