Tom Wardle Reports as Marine dominate goalless draw with Hyde United…

Marine were held to a 0-0 draw by Hyde United yesterday in the Northern Premier League. The Mariners had the ball in the net twice in the first half that were both ruled out by the officials. The Tigers played the last quarter of an hour with ten men following Javid Neavin’s second booking, but kept the hosts out to claim a valuable point at the Marine Travel Arena.

Josh Solomon-Davies was deemed fit to return to Neil Young’s starting 11, whilst Mo Touray made his first league start of the campaign in front of the Lilywhites’ biggest home crowd of the season.

Former Marine goalkeeper Dan Atherton made two brilliant stops to prevent an early home goal.

His first came when Sol Solomon’s corner looked to be heading directly in, but the Hyde number one clawed it away from danger.

Three minutes later, a corner from the opposite side was firmly headed at goal by Jonny Spittle, though Atherton reacted from point blank range to deny the centre back.

One of the game’s talking points came around the half an hour mark. A corner into the visitors’ box caused a scramble where Hayden Campbell eventually turned the ball home. However as Campbell connected with the ball, the referee had blown his whistle to tend to the injured Atherton who had gone down.

Ten minutes later the Mariners had found the net a second time which was disallowed. James Barrigan’s free kick had missed everyone to find the corner of the net, though the linesman had his flag up, suggesting one of the players in black and white making a move towards the ball was offside.

After being dominated in the first half, Hyde reacted more positively with their forward play without truly troubling Bayleigh Passant.

Marine continued to look dangerous off corners. A deep one by Solomon was headed back into the mix and attacked by Charley Doyle, who couldn’t divert the ball on target.

Neavin collected his second yellow card for a late challenge with fifteen minutes to go, which the home side struggled to capitalise on.

Tom Pratt went down in the box after claiming he was brought down by Passant, though the referee booked him for simulation despite the appeals from the away dugout.

The Mariners’ last chance of the match fell to Touray. Another wicked corner delivery by Solomon towards the back stick was straight onto the striker’s head, though his header clipped off the post, to end a game that on another day could have ended differently.

Marine look ahead to their league game next Saturday, where they will travel to Lancaster City for a 12:30pm kick off.

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies, Smith, Barrigan, Wardle ©, Spittle, Scarisbrick, C.Doyle, Touray, Solomon, Campbell (Evans 82).

Unused Substitutes: Clark, Mendes, Weir, A.Doyle.

Hyde United: Atherton, Ditchfield, Neavin, Spooner, Fagbola, Roscoe ©, Dawson (Fleming 89), Tongue, Mampala (Brown 77), Redshaw, Pratt.

Unused Substitutes: Riley, Chew, Whittingham.

Attendance: 1,417

Leave a comment