Tom Wardle Reports as Super Sol Sends Marine up to Sixth…

Sol Solomon scored his first Marine goals in either half, as Marine shrugged off Whitby Town to win 2-0 in the Northern Premier League. Despite the Blues’ late attempts at creating a nervy finish, the Mariners kept them at bay to win consecutive league matches for the first time this season.

Injuries to both Joe Ferguson and Hayden Campbell meant manager Neil Young was forced into changing his squad. Jack Dunn was declared fit to return to the side’s starting eleven, along with Solomon who missed Tuesday night’s victory at Nantwich Town through illness.

The visitors had a huge opportunity to take the lead inside six minutes. Malik Dijksteel fed through Harry Green who sent Marine’s number one Bayleigh Passant to the deck. However his shot at an open net was superbly challenged by Jordan Lussey.

Dijksteel was troubling the Mariners’ backline once more when cutting inside from the left wing. He fired a low effort that Passant could only parry straight back into his feet, but the wingers’ follow up shot cannoned over the bar.

Mark Howarth was another player who returned to today’s team and he almost scored the opener when he was picked out at the back post, though he couldn’t quite get his foot over the ball and fired over.

It took until the fortieth minute for the game’s first goal. Charley Doyle did well to carry the ball to the edge of the box and dinked it in-between the Whitby backline where Solomon was there to strike it smartly past Shane Bland into the far corner.

Dunn almost doubled the home side’s lead seconds later. After shooting from a similar distance earlier in the match, he decided to have another pop. This time his swerving effort was neatly tipped over the bar.

Solomon was denied of scoring a second after the interval. Dunn had a scuffed shot from outside the box that found its way to the Jerseyman, but Bland was quickly off his line to narrow the angle and make the block.

Although Bland could do nothing when Solomon did eventually grab his second minutes later. The forward collected the ball following a corner and swept an effort towards goal that took a clear deflection in its path to finding the back of the net.

Harvey Tomlinson came inches away from pulling one back for the Seasiders nearing the final whistle. His free kick from 25 yards out came down off the bar, with the visiting players convinced the ball had crossed the line, though the officials were unmoved.

The games keep on coming thick and fast for the Mariners, as they travel to Stalybridge Celtic on Tuesday evening for a 7:45pm kick off.

Marine: Passant, Clark (Solomon-Davies 88), Barrigan, Howarth, Wardle ©, Spittle, Lussey, C.Doyle, Evans, Solomon (Pedro 72), Dunn (Weir 76).

Unused Substitutes: A.Doyle, Adams.

Whitby Town: Bland, Fergus (Haswell 74), Shepherd, Bramwell, Rowe, Cunningham, Keithley, Hawkins, Day, Green (Tomlinson 60), Dijksteel (Fewster 65).

Unused Substitutes: Hackett, Burn.

Attendance: 1299.

Leave a comment