Kevin Bannon reports from the MTA…

Two goals late goals for Marine saw them come from behind to win 2-1 against ten-man Worksop Town.

A tidy finish from Fin Sinclair-Smith with five minutes remaining drew the Mariners level, after Regan Hutchinson’s opener in the first half.

Matty Waters then won the game for Neil Young’s side with a spectacular 30-yard effort after 99 minutes to send the Crosby crowd in raptures.

The visitors opened the scoring after 12 minutes, when a ball into the box from winger Jay Rollins wasn’t dealt with by Louis White, and onrushing fullback Hutchinson side footed a finish into the top corner via a deflection off White.

An incredible Luke Hutchinson save prevented Worksop from doubling their lead before the break as he somehow got a right hand to Vaughan Redford’s effort from six yards. Hutchinson denied Redford just after the break with a similarly spectacular save from close range.

Marine twice thought they’d drawn level as both Owen Robinson and Bobby Grant had the ball in the net, but both were ruled out for offside.

Marine went close to equalising through both Josh Wardle and Chris Doyle, but their efforts couldn’t find the back of the net.

Then Sinclair-Smith pounced on a loose ball in the box, after some indecision in the previously resolute Worksop backline, and fired a low finish in between Sebastian Malkowski’s legs for the equaliser.

As the hosts pushed for the winner, a wild challenge from Hutchinson on Wardle, saw the Tigers reduced to 10 men for the remainder of injury time.

With nearly 100 minutes on the clock and Marine piling forward, the ball dropped at the feet of full-back Waters, who unleashed a thunderous left-footed effort which crashed in off the cross bar to secure all three points at the death.

Marine boss, Neil Young gave his reaction after a dramatic win. He said: ”There’s no better feeling than winning football matches and winning in the way we did last minute. I was made up with the overall performance, irrespective of the score line. Luke’s made some great saves, but we’ve had a lot of chances. We kept going, kept growing into the game and in my opinion, deserved to win.”

The result sees both sides remain in the play-off places with Marine 3rd and Worksop 5th.

Match Rating- 5/5.

Star Man- Matty Waters

Goal times- Hutchinson ’12, Sinclair-Smith ’84, Waters 99’

Attendance: 1345.

Leave a comment