Adam Tiffen reports as Marine come back from 2-1 down to win 4-2 at home against Morpeth Town…

Marine fought back from a 2-1 deficit, after leading inside five minutes thanks to centurion appearance-maker Joshua Solomon-Davies, to win 4-2. Morpeth’s two goals came between the fifth and tenth minute, with Ryan Donaldson scoring first and Andrew Johnson putting the north-east side ahead. The home team would level the scores before the half thanks to a Jordan Lussey penalty. Then goals from debutant Louis Britton and Sol Solomon, in the second half, confirmed the three points for the Mariners.

The game started fast with Marine debutant Ben Hodkinson getting a chance inside the first two minutes. He tried to go round Morpeth’s goalkeeper Daniel Lowson, but he got back well to save the winger’s shot.

Then, two minutes after, Solomon-Davies opened the scoring. He received the ball off Andrew Scarisbrick, who’d done well in the midfield to win the ball. He drove at the visitor’s defence and his shot found its way into the far corner.

Marine didn’t hold on to their lead for long as Donaldson levelled the score in the seventh minute. Jack Foalle got in behind down the right-hand side. He got to the by-line and squared the ball to a teammate at the back post, who laid it off for Donaldson to finish.

Foalle got in behind in the exact same way for Morpeth’s second goal. This time the pass across the box needed no layoff, as Johnson was there to finish well, making the score 1-2 after nine minutes.

The Mariners created few chances in the 20 minutes, with most of the half chances coming through the other debutant Louis Britton. He won a free kick which Hodkinson took. This was blocked, as was his follow-up shot.

This time though, the ball fell to Solomon in the box, whose shot was high, but he was caught late by a Morpeth defender. The referee immediately pointed to the spot. Lussey stepped up and hit it hard into the bottom right-hand corner to even the scores at 2-2, in the 34th minute.

Between the game’s fourth goal and half-time there were four bookings, one of which was for Bayleigh Passant for handling the ball outside the box.

The first 10 minutes of the second half were headlined by Sean Smith. Five minutes after the break, the left-back acted quickly to clear the ball over his own bar. Then, a few minutes later, after an impressive run, he played Solomon into the box, who put a low cross into a dangerous area. There was a scramble for the ball, but Britton got the best touch on it to guide it into the goal.

Solomon sealed the game with five minutes to go in the 90. Charley Doyle slipped the club’s top-scorer in behind with a lovely pass and the number 10 only needed one touch before slotting home his side’s fourth goal.

Marine moved up to fifth in the table after this result. Their next game is away at Liversedge FC on Saturday 25th February.

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies (Barrigan 86’), Smith, Lussey, Earl, Spittle, Hodkinson (Howarth 65’), Doyle, Britton (Bunney 81’), Solomon, Scarisbrick

Unused subs: Clark, Weir

Morpeth Town: Lawson, King (Ramsey 71’), Robson, Morris, Henderson, Turner, Cornish (Thomson 74’), Sayer, Foalle, Donaldson, Johnson

Unused subs: Fishburn, Lancaster

Attendance: 1298

Leave a comment