Tom Wardle Reports as Campbell’s Brace Inspires Marine Comeback in Nantwich

Hayden Campbell’s goal in either half was enough to award the Mariners maximum points, as they came from a goal down to defeat Nantwich Town 2-1 on Tuesday evening. Harry Nevin gave the Dabbers the lead inside twenty minutes, but Marine’s firepower proved too much for the hosts, rising Neil Young’s men to 11th in the Northern Premier League. As for the East Cheshire side, they drop into the relegation zone.

Connor Evans was given the nod to make his first start for the club, alongside a fresh midfield three from Saturday’s Isuzu FA Trophy tie. Sol Solomon pulled out of the squad in the warmup, allowing DJ Pedro to return to the starting eleven.

Despite the home side coming into the fixture without a win in their past seven games, they took the game to Marine in the opening twenty minutes.

Curtis Morrison who would later be awarded Nantwich’s man of the match had an opportunity with a flying header, though couldn’t direct the effort on target.

The Dabbers went ahead not long after. A corner into the box wasn’t dealt with and the ball eventually fell to debutant Nevin. The Preston North End loanee set himself before venomously striking it past Bayleigh Passant.

The Mariners reacted well to trailing early on. Jordan Lussey’s cross from a central area was flicked on by Pedro, the ball falling perfectly for Campbell who came steaming in and rifled his shot off the bar.

Campbell was threatening Nantwich’s backline once more, when he chested down a delivery from the wing and fired an effort towards the near post, only for Louis Gray to make a stunning save to his right.

It was third time lucky for Campbell as he equalised in the 36th minute. A wicked inswinging corner by Lucas Weir found the forward in space, before he calmly nestled the ball into the back of the net.

Campbell doubled his tally seconds after the interval. A delightful pass by Lussey cut open the Dabbers’ defence, picking out Campbell who saw the ‘keeper off his line. The Mariners’ top goal scorer chipped the ball over Gray’s head, turning the game completely around.

The Whites had to hold off multiple waves of Nantwich attacks, Passant standing firm to perform a double save to keep out efforts from Morrison and former Mariner Chris Sang.

Their final chance to draw level in the game came after a Tom Scully cross which dropped to AJ Leitch-Smith, but his acrobatic strike was slightly too high, meaning Marine claim their second away victory this season.

The Mariners return to the MTA on Saturday, when bottom of the league Whitby Town are the visitors.

Nantwich Town: Gray, Edwards (Lawton 60), Bircumshaw, Bourne ©, Nevin, Sherratt, Morrison, Scully, Sang (Miller 84), Leitch-Smith, Plant (Urvantev 68).

Unused Substitutes: Moran, Chiduka.

Marine: Passant, Ferguson (Clark 45), Smith, A.Doyle, Wardle ©, Spittle, Weir, Lussey, Evans (Howarth 75), Pedro, Campbell (Adams 52).

Unused Substitutes: Barrigan, Dunn.

Attendance: 335.

Leave a comment