Reilly stars as marine record third win in a row

Marine’s impressive goal flow continued today, as goals from Lewis Reilly and Owen Watkinson helped them on their way to a 6-2 win over Irlam.  

Much like in the previous game, Marine made a fast start to the game, as Niall Cummins was judged to be fouled just inside the box, winning his side a penalty.  

Lewis Reilly stepped up and began his performance with a neatly taken penalty.  

But it was Irlam who would enjoy the lion’s share of possession after the goal, passing the ball around defensive and midfield areas, without causing the Marine defence too many problems.  

Their patience was rewarded in the 21st minute, after a flowing team move was finished off by Max Bardsley-Rowe, who had previously hit the woodwork following a mazy run.  

Scores were level for just five minutes however, as Reilly’s dinked cross from the right-hand side was brilliantly headed in by Watkinson, with the striker recording his fourth goal of pre-season.  

Reilly, who recently signed for Marine following a spell at Chorley, continued his brilliant performance by drilling a low effort into the bottom corner of the Irlam goal, handing the away side a 3-1 lead going into the interval.  

Once again, Marine would be awarded a penalty just a few minutes after kick off, after Irlam’s Nicholas was judged to have handled the ball on the line, denying the Mariners of a fourth.  

The fourth goal would come from the penalty spot though, with Reilly completing his hat trick. This marks the third consecutive game in which a Marine player has scored three – with all three being scored by different players.  

Two of the afternoons triallists would link up to provide the fifth Marine goal of the afternoon, as the player wearing the number 15 found himself one on one with the goal keeper, before slotting home coolly.  

Irlam conjured a second consolation goal a couple of minutes later, after Andre Stewart found space down the right-hand channel and finished calmly to take the score to 2-5.  

The days’ scoring was complete in the 86th minute, as Marine’s attacking triallist brilliantly curled his effort into the top left corner from the edge of the box. Neil Young’s side performed well in difficult conditions, during a very humid and hot day in Lancashire.  

A trip to north Wales is next up for the Mariners, as we travel to Flint on Tuesday night.  

Leave a comment