Tom Murphy reports from Brewery Field…

Goals from Mampala and Solomon meant Neil Young’s side will face off once more against Spennymoor on Tuesday evening.

The Mariners came back from behind twice in a thrilling encounter against opposition one division ahead of their respective selves.

Goal scorer, Mampala came closest for the away side in the first period of play, seeing his shot glide wide after a Tomlinson rocket that was goal bound.

Joshua Popoola from minute one was a real threat in the final third for Spennymoor, Michael Carberry dealt with the full back brilliantly and put in an excellent shift after replacing the injured Sinclair Smith.

Goalkeeper Felix Goddard was superb for Marine who helped keep the score level heading into halftime after some brilliant saves.

After a first half with few chances from either side, we had to wait until the second half for the drama to take place.

There were chances for both sides in the first 20 minutes of the second period.

Tomlinson had to clear an attempt off the line and at the other end, Sol Solomon darted past the Spennymoor back line, and was brought down in the 18 yard box, but no penalty was given.

Spennymoor then took the lead in the 61st minute after Popoola latched onto a loose ball in the penalty area and found the back of the net with a composed finish.

Marine immediately responded 5 minutes later thanks to Manasse Mampala, who chested the ball down deep in the penalty area and fired it past a helpless James Montgomery.

Play didn’t slow after two quick successive goals from both sides.

Louis White had a go from distance but his shot only found the advertising boards to the left of the net.

The home side then edged ahead minutes later, this time record goal scorer Glen Taylor added another to his tally after Marine were caught lacking.

As we entered the final 10 minutes, tensions began to rise as lots of tired legs began to show, passes went astray and it looked like Marine were down and out.

However, in the 82nd minute, referee Joe Moss put his whistle to his lips and rewarded Marine with a penalty kick.

There were no complaints from the home side, captain Curtis received a yellow card after catching Marine substitute, Charley Doyle in the face.

Sol Solomon stepped up and just about found the back of the net to level things up.

With five to play the game turned into an end to end encounter up until the final whistle, but neither side were able to find that all important third goal.

With honours shared on Saturday, the two sides will battle again on Tuesday at the MTA with it all to play for.

Marine: 1 Felix Goddard, 2 Kyle Hayde (Joseph Ferguson 67′), 3 Nathan Woodthorpe, 4 Willem Tomlinson  (Charley Doyle 76′), 5 Josh Wardle, 6 Jonathan Spittle, 7 Michael Carberry, 8 Louis White, 9 Darius Osei (Will Russ 57′), 10 Sol Solomon, 11 Manasse Mampala

Unused Subs:  13 Richard Cowderoy, 14 Jake Burton, 17 Jordan Lussey,

Spennymoor Town: 1 James  Montgomery, 2 Joshua Popoola, 3 Reece  Staunton, 4 Callum Ross, 6 James Curtis, 7 Will Harris, 9 Glen Taylor, 10 Rob Ramshaw, 16 Ben Pollock (Keenan Ferguson 45′), 22 Danny Greenfield (Sam Fielding 74′), 27 Josh Doherty

Unused Subs: 18 Dan Atkinson,, 21 Connor Shanks, 23 Owen Gallacher, 28 Corey Mckeown

Attendance: 573

Marine Man of the Match: Manasse Mampala

Leave a comment