Tom Wardle Reports as Marine Survive Late Penalty in Frustrating Goalless Draw…

Marine rue missing a number of chances to make it three wins on the bounce, as they drew 0-0 away at Stalybridge Celtic last night. Raul Correia had a chance to win it at the end for the home side from the penalty spot, but he blazed wide to save a tough point for the Mariners in the Northern Premier League.

New signing Freddie Price was thrown straight into the starting eleven by Neil Young. Furthermore, Josh Solomon-Davies made his first start back since limping off against Stafford Rangers in August.

After an even opening to the game, Marine were the side that should’ve gone ahead. Jordan Lussey’s floated free kick towards the back post was headed back into the danger zone by Charley Doyle. The ball fell perfectly to the unmarked Price, but he directed his header onto the bar, denying himself of a debut goal.

The visitors continued to press the hosts throughout the first half, though there was no real quality nor conviction in the final third to test goalkeeper Greg Hall.

The highlight of a chilly evening at Bower Fold from the first 45 minutes of football was the substitution of James Barrigan, as he came on at the interval to mark his 100th appearance for the Mariners.

Just after the hour mark, Marine began to truly threaten the Celts’ goal.

A chance embarked when Doyle thread through Sol Solomon who drilled an effort hard and low, forcing goalkeeper Hall into a fine save as he fingertipped the ball wide.

The following corner led to a deep Jack Dunn cross into an area where substitute DJ Pedro was lurking. The forward fired a header towards goal, however Hall was able to tip the ball onto the bar, keeping the game level with another brilliant stop.

A flurry of further corners allowed both Pedro and Doyle to come close to scoring, though somehow weren’t able to put their side into the lead.

Then just as the game looked to have petered out, Jonny Spittle was deemed to have pulled back Tinashe Chakwana in second half stoppage time, to award Stalybridge a late, late penalty.

It got even later, as multiple tussles between both sets of players meant penalty taker Correia had to wait to attempt his spot-kick.

Eventually the Celts’ striker stepped up and struck his penalty high and wide to the relief of the Marine squad, who would’ve judged the match as two points dropped, rather than one saved.

The Mariners are back in action on Saturday, as they welcome Belper Town to the Marine Travel Arena, for a 3pm kick off.

Stalybridge Celtic: Hall, Miller ©, Carson, Holding, Waldron, G.Abadaki, Bailey-Jones (Chakwana 77), Moonan (Padden 73), Correia, Rouse, O.Abadaki (Caine 73).

Unused Substitutes: Yoak, Liptrott.

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies, Smith, Lussey (Barrigan 45), Wardle ©, Spittle, Price (Clark 77), C.Doyle, Evans (Pedro 61), Dunn, Solomon.

Unused Substitutes: Weir, A.Doyle.

Attendance: 356.

Leave a comment