Owen Watkinson and a brace from Neil Kengni helped Marine secure a place in the next qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup, sweeping Warrington Town aside by three goals to nil. 

The match started in end-to-end fashion, with both teams taking it in turns to enjoy spells of possession. Alex Doyle may have considered himself unlucky to not double his goal tally for the season, as his free kick was tipped over by Daniel Atherton. 

Neil Young’s side lined up differently to their usual shape, with injuries to Anthony Miley, David Raven and Dean Winnard leaving the Mariners with Danny Shaw as the only fit centre half at the club. This resulted in Mark Howarth and James Devine joining Shaw in a back three, with James Joyce and the returning Josh Solomon-Davies occupying the wing back roles.  

Just past the half hour mark, Owen Watkinson found himself down the inside left channel, inside the penalty area with a sight on goal, coolly smashing the ball past the ‘keeper into the bottom right corner. A well taken goal adding to an outstanding performance for the sponsors’ man of the match.  

Marine doubled their lead to two just a minute later, with Niall Cummins flicking the ball forwards into the path of Neil Kengni, who took the ball in his stride before slotting into the same corner that Watkinson had found moments before.  

Warrington’s best chances of the game came from set pieces, with Jordan Buckley heading over from inside the six-yard box. Clear-cut chances proved hard to come by for the Yellows, with Bayleigh Passant rarely threatened in the home side’s goal for the time being.  

The victory was all-but confirmed in the 62nd minute, when Cummins and Kengni combined again, with the skipper volleying into the path of Kengni, who nodded the ball past the onrushing defender and once again making no mistake with the finish.  

Passant was called into action on a few occasions before the final whistle, denying Matthew McDonald from the edge of the area, before Mitchell Duggan had his effort well blocked by James Devine. 

Referee Luis Griffiths brought an end to the game, signalling a 3-0 victory for Marine, who will now look forward to the next round of qualifying for footballs oldest cup competition. The draw will take place on Monday at 1pm.  

Next up for the Mariners is a trip to Warrington Rylands, in search of a league rebound following a loss to Clitheroe.  

Attendance: 1003 

Marine line up: Passant, Solomon-Davies, Joyce, Howarth, Shaw, Devine, Watkinson (Hughes), Doyle, Cummins (Reilly), Barrigan, Kengni 

Leave a comment