Two goals from Max Cane condemn Marine to their first loss in nine games, as Clitheroe run out as 2-0 winners.  

Neil Young made one change from the team that won at Glossop North End, with Kyle Hayde making his return to the starting line-up, replacing the injured Luke Clark.  

Both sides struggled to maintain possession and assert their dominance on the game in the early stages, with the ball bobbling up off the surface frequently throughout the match.  

A display of direct wing play from Josh Solomon-Davies gave Clitheroe some defending to do, as they cleared his cross behind for a corner. The resulting corner was put narrowly wide by Olly Muir.  

The away side looked dangerous, with Ross Dent’s looping header landing on Bayleigh Passant’s crossbar and going out of play.  

And the Blues would continue to sustain pressure on the Marine defence, enjoying more of the ball and peppering Passant.  

Shortly before the half time whistle, the breakthrough was made, as some fantastic hold-up play from Sefton Gonzales brought Jamie Edwards into play, who put it on a plate for Max Cane to finish.  

Set piece specialist Lewis Reilly had an opportunity to level the scores on the brink of the break, but his free kick from 20 yards sailed over George Bristol’s goal.  

There was work to do for Marine at half time, with a win seeing them go level on points with Warrington Rylands at the top.  

Captain James Barrigan had the first attempt on goal of the second half for Marine, but his long-range effort deflected behind for a corner.  

Mark Howarth possibly should have made more of Jack Dunn’s free kick, but his header landed in the waiting arms of Bristol.  

Passant put in a brilliant shift in goal for the Mariners, keeping Marine in the game through multiple one-on-one saves.  

However, a second goal did arrive for the visitors, following more excellent work by Gonzales inside the penalty area, laying the ball off for Cane to grab his second of the evening.  

Clitheroe’s Gonzales was the stand-out performer on the night, holding play up well and bringing others into play.  

With just a few minutes of the game to go, Barrigan received his marching orders after two bookable challenges in 12 minutes left referee Emily Carney with no choice but to produce a red card.  

All-in-all, a bad night for the Mariners, with a stoppage time winner for Workington dropping the Crosby side down to third.  

Next up for Marine is a trip to Mossley, in what will prove to be another tough game against a dangerous opponent.  

Attendance: 987 

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies (Wignall), Muir, Howarth, Devine (Adams), Barrigan, Watkinson (White), Hayde, Reilly, Dunn, Kengni 

Leave a comment