The Mariners made it three wins on the bounce, thanks to goals from Ryan Wignall and James Barrigan securing a 2-1 win over Glossop North End.  

Despite dominating the first 45 minutes, Marine got off to the worst possible start, after Bevan Burey’s cut back from the right of the goal found Khius Metz in acres of space to open the scoring. A less than ideal start for the new centre back partnership of Danny Shaw and Dean Winnard.  

Neil Young’s side responded brightly following the goal however, managing to retain possession more effectively, looking to get Neil Kengni and Owen Watkinson in behind on a number of occasions.  

A well worked set piece resulted in the equalising goal in the 18th minute, with Mark Howarth’s free kick headed back across goal by Shaw and sweetly met on the volley by Ryan Wignall, looping the ball over Harry Allen in the Glossop goal. Wignall was the FA Cup hero on Saturday, making it two goals in two for the midfielder.  

This goal really sparked Marine into life, who began to attack with more impetus and fluidity, coming close to a second after a lovely one-two between Watkinson and Wignall saw the goal scorers curled effort tipped over by Allen.  

As the Crosby side continued to push for a second goal, Glossop’s defence must be credited for denying Marine too many goal scoring opportunities, despite boasting the lions’ share of possession. Left back Adam Owen will have been thanked by his teammates for clearing a Watkinson effort off the line. 

However, Marine were able to take the lead just before half time after Mark Howarth was tripped inside the penalty area, leaving referee Anthony Ball with no choice but to award a penalty.  

Stand-in skipper James Barrigan assumed responsibility, smashing the ball down the middle to give his side a deserved lead going into the break. 

At half time, manager Neil Young would have been pleased with his teams’ performance, especially after coming from behind to take the lead. Although, Young would have been keen to stress that the game was not won, and his side must still be wary of the oppositions’ threatening counterattack.  

The game followed a familiar pattern of Marine dominance when play resumed, but with the side unable to find a nerve-relieving third goal.  

Neil Kengni will hardly believe his luck, after not only seeing his long-range effort crash off the crossbar, but also his spectacular overhead kick rebound off the post. On another day, the forward could easily have had two or three goals.  

Chances for the away side came sparsely, with the best effort coming from Jamal Crawford, as the winger saw his effort tipped wide by Bayleigh Passant. The stopper had a fine game in goal, commanding his penalty area well and taking the pressure off his defence from many corners and free kicks.  

The final whistle eventually blew, signalling a third consecutive victory for Marine and their fourth win in the opening five league games. Marine now look forward to a trip to 1874 Northwich, hoping to extend their winning run.  

Attendance: 929 

Marine line up: Passant, Roberts, Barrigan (C), Howarth, Shaw, Winnard, Watkinson (Cummins 71’), Doyle, Lynch (Devine 45’), Wignall, Kengni 

Leave a comment