Tom Wardle Reports as Struggling Sedge see off ten-man Marine…

Liversedge brought Marine’s three game winning streak to an end this afternoon, as Nathan Cartman’s first half effort was the difference at Clayborn Ground. Kyle Hayde made his return to the Crosby-side with a straight red card, when he was deemed to have prevented a goalscoring opportunity. The defeat slips the Mariners down into eight place and three points off the playoffs in the Northern Premier League table.

Neil Young made three changes from the 4-2 victory over Morpeth Town last Saturday. Ben Hodkinson, Andy Scarisbrick and the recalled Lewis Earl were replaced by James Barrigan, Joe Bunney and Mark Howarth.

Despite starting the game in 21st position, the hosts started on the front foot.

Bayleigh Passant was called into action inside two minutes to block a low shot from Ben Atkinson who found himself one on one with the ‘keeper.

Sedge took a deserved lead halfway through the first 45. A long ball over the top was misjudged by Sean Smith which allowed Cartman to run through and dink the ball over the onrushing Passant.

They could’ve doubled their advantage soon after. Nicholas Walker’s free kick was met at the back post by Daniel Ellis, who wasn’t able to direct his header on target.

Marine’s only sight of goal in the first half came when Sol Solomon attempted to catch Patrick Boyes out from a long-range free kick, which the ‘keeper easily dealt with.

The offside flag kept Liversedge’s lead to just one at the interval, as Cartman was the wrong side of the visiting defence when backheeling the ball into the net.

The game resumed where it left off after the break.

Young made all three substitutions with half an hour to play in an attempt to alter Marine’s fortunes.

Barrigan cleverly latched onto a risky back pass but was unable to keep the attack alive as the game approached its closing stages.

The Mariner’s day went from bad to worse when Hayde’s afternoon was cut short. Walker nipped in behind the Lilywhite’s backline and the substitute brought him down to receive a straight red card.

Sedge will be questioning how they didn’t put the game to bed with their late flurry of chances.

A mistake at the back allowed a swift cross from the right to float into the path of Cartman who blazed over with the goal gaping.

Cartman fumbled another opportunity minutes later, as his shot from the centre of the box rebounded off the post.

Solomon struck an effort with seconds left on the clock, though Boyes comfortably saved to maintain his side’s much needed three points.

Marine will look to bounce back when hosting Everton in the Liverpool FA Senior Cup Quarter Final on Tuesday evening for a 7:45pm kick off.

Liversedge: Boyes, Carr, Stewart, Proctor, Ellis, Harris, Atkinson, Smythe, Cartman (Walton 89), Stockdill ©, Walker.

Unused Substitutes: Hardacre, Khan, Tarangadzo, Barrett.

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies (Hayde 45), Smith, Lussey, Howarth, Spittle, Barrigan, Doyle © (Hodkinson 64), Britton (Scarisbrick 60), Solomon, Bunney.

Unused Substitutes: Mendes, Weir.

Attendance: 364.

Leave a comment