Adam Yates reports from another frosty Marine Travel Arena as both teams grinded out a no score draw that was low on golden chances but high in attendance.

Due to postponements around the region, the Crosby 3G pitch survived cancellation and resulted in a mix of groundhoppers attendees and LASK stragglers from Thursday’s Europa game at Anfield.

The game began with a moments silence for former Marine President Dennis Hargreaves who passed away recently. Dennis served twice as President in the 1990’s and was instrumental during that time in appointing Johnson the Cleaners as our shirt sponsor.

The opening 45 minutes saw most of the game being played in midfield but Ilkeston had the better opportunities to alter the scoreline.

Jamie Walker had two attempts in quick succession, the first inches wide of Felix Goddard’s goal. Minutes later, his free kick hit the post.

Two further Town attacks were thwarted by the Mariners back four via Liam Nolan in the area and a goal line clearance by Joseph Ferguson.

Both Marine and Ilkeston were forced into early changes as Connor Evans begrudgingly left the field due to injury, replaced by Manasse Mampala. Shortly after the second half began, the impressive Ilkeston winger Brandy was replaced due to an injury that he couldn’t shake sustained just before the break.

The second half was largely situated into the Ilkeston half as Marine greatly improved their quality on the ball but couldn’t break the deadlock.

Manasse Mampala, with space to spare on the edge of the box, saw his attempt blasted high into the netting behind the goal which frustrated the chilly crowd as well as himself.

Sol Solomon then pressured Town keeper Matt Yates following a backpass, managed to acquire the ball but his pass missed his approaching teammates.

Solomon had the final attempt due to an uncleared corner. Sol from close range and a tight angle was able to make the target but Yates stood his ground and assured the visitors a point away from home.

Next up…

We’re home once more as we entertain Bamber Bridge under the lights.

Unbeaten in four, but with three of them draws, Marine will be looking to take all 3pts and inflict pressure on the playoffs.

Marine: 1 Felix Goddard, 2 Joseph Ferguson 3 Nathan Woodthorpe, 4 Jalil Saadi, 5 Chris Doyle, 6 Josh Wardle, 7 Owen Robinson, 8 Louis White, 9 Connor Evans (Manasse Mampala 34′), 10 Sol Solomon, 11 Liam Nolan (Harvey Gregson 57′)

Subs: 12 Finlay Sinclair-Smith, 14 Kyle Hayde, 15 Manasse Mampala, 16 Harvey Gregson, 17 Michael Carberry

Ilkeston Town: 1 Mathew Yates, 2 Llarell King, 3 Sam Parker, 4 Thomas Marshall, 5 James Perch, 6 Luke Cox, 7 L’Varn Brandy (Ben Starkie 52′), 8 Connor Dixon, 9 Alex Marshall (Zak Goodson 85′), 10 Declan Eratt-Thompson (Callum Minkley 90′), 11 Jaime Walker

Subs: 12 Ben Starkie, 14 Liam Laughlan, 15 Callum Minkley, 16 Zak Goodson, 17 Tyrell Waite

Referee: Callum Jones

Man of the Match: Louis White

Attendance: 1,148

Leave a comment