Tom Wardle Reports as Touray’s Late Winner Puts Marine into the Third Round Draw…

Mo Touray scored within seconds of coming off the bench to send Marine into the Third Round of the Isuzu FA Trophy, after beating Scarborough Athletic 1-0 this afternoon. The Seadogs sit in third place of the Vanarama National League North, but couldn’t break down the Mariners’ defence who kept their third clean sheet on the bounce in front of an overjoyed Marine Travel Arena.

Neil Young was forced to make two changes from last Saturday’s 5-0 league win over Liversedge. Luke Clark and Charley Doyle stepped in for Josh Solomon-Davies and Andy Scarisbrick.

Although both teams struggled to find sights of goal across the game, Marine found themselves in shooting range inside the opening quarter of an hour.

Sol Solomon elegantly scooped the ball over the visitors’ backline to Jack Dunn who was one on one with Joe Cracknell. However the forward was pushed wide and forced Scarborough’s ‘keeper into a routine save.

Dunn had another opportunity soon after. The ball set up nicely for him to strike on the volley which Cracknell uneasily tipped over the bar.

Unfortunately for Dunn, he was carried off the pitch by a stretcher halfway through the first 45 with a suspected knee injury, following such a bright start to the tie.

Bayleigh Passant sprung into action at the other as he palmed wide a fine strike by Luca Colville from the edge of the box.

Lucas Weir became more influential as the half went on and he played a smart one-two with Solomon before blasting his shot into the side netting from a tight angle.

Scarborough stepped it up a notch after the interval, with winger Dan Bramall causing a few problems around the home side’s box.

Ashley Jackson launched a long throw into the danger zone that found its way to Kieran Burton at the near post. Though the defender didn’t get a meaningful touch that would have made the difference from close range.

Substitute Lewis Maloney tried an audacious attempt from a free kick as he attempted to chip Passant from distance, which Marine’s number one was equal to.

As the tie looked to be heading to a penalty shootout, Touray lifted the MTA to its feet in the 84th minute.

The Lilywhites had a free kick when the forward was brought on for Clark. The set-piece was taken and the ball deflected to Touray on the edge of the box. He steadied himself before calmly slotting the ball into the bottom corner with Cracknell unmoved.

The Mariners battled resolutely for the remaining minutes to put themselves in the hat for Tuesday’s draw.

Marine begin their Liverpool County FA Senior Cup journey on Tuesday, when they welcome Pilkington to the MTA for a 7:45pm kick off.

Marine: Passant, Clark (Touray 83), Smith, Lussey, Wardle ©, Spittle, Weir (Campbell 70), C.Doyle, Dunn (Evans 25), Solomon, Barrigan.

Unused Substitutes: Harris, Mendes.

Scarborough Athletic: Cracknell, Weledji, Jackson, Gooda, Watson ©, Glynn, Colville, Plant (Maloney 71), Burton, Heslop (Coulson 88), Bramall (Tear 60).

Unused Substitutes: Thornton, Bancroft, McGuckin.

Attendance: 1,144

Leave a comment