Tom Wardle Reports as Marine Rue Missed Chances as Kielen Adams Haunts Former Club…

Marine conceded a late equaliser at the hands of ex-Mariner Kielen Adams to draw 1-1 against Ashton United at the Marine Travel Arena this afternoon. Andy Scarisbrick gave the Mariners a much-deserved lead on 73 minutes, but the Lilywhites couldn’t hold on for all three points, as the result keeps the Crosby side in seventh place in the Northern Premier League.

Neil Young was forced into a single change from his team’s 1-0 victory to Stafford Rangers on Tuesday. Forward Craig Curran was ruled out through injury, with Chester loanee Lewis Earl stepping in for his absence.

Following an even start to the match, Marine came inches away from going a goal ahead on 19 minutes. A wicked Sol Solomon corner was met by the head of Jonny Spittle, whose effort was cleared off the line by Dale Whitham.

Josh Solomon-Davies was getting joy down the right wing and almost saw his attempted cross fly into the net, but ‘keeper Andre Mendes was alert to push the ball onto the crossbar.

The hosts came close again after a brilliant move down the left. Solomon and Mo Touray combined resulting in Scarisbrick being played through with space ahead of him. The midfielder pulled the trigger only to be clawed away by Mendes.

Another opportunity arose before the break as Sean Smith pressed James Baillie to give up possession in a dangerous area. The ball was collected by Touray who decided to take it on himself, but his shot deflected wide of the far post.

The visitors turned it up a gear following the interval. Nathan Lowe’s corner rebounded perfectly into the path of Jack McKay, though he miscued his strike from the edge of the box.

Bayleigh Passant was then called into action to make a brilliant reaction stop. Half-time substitute Robert Guilfoyle was allowed to turn and shoot from close range, Passant’s right leg keeping the game level.

With just over a quarter of an hour left of play, the deadlock was broken. An exquisite ball over the top picked out Scarisbrick with the Ashton defence awaiting the offside flag. However Scarisbrick was alive to the situation and finished coolly into the bottom corner.

The Mariners looked to see out the game in similar style to how they did on Tuesday night. Although their former striker Adams rewrote the script. A cross from the left wing was greeted by the forward who came flying in between Josh Wardle and Passant to give his side a late point.

Marine’s next game on the horizon sees them travel to Radcliffe next Saturday for a 3pm kick off.

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies, Smith, Earl, Wardle ©, Spittle, Lussey, C.Doyle, Touray (Weir 85), Solomon, Scarisbrick.

Unused Substitutes: Clark, Mendes, A.Doyle, Barrigan.

Ashton United: Mendes, Baillie (Hobson 78), Newton, Baird, Regan ©, Lonsdale (Milner 45), Gilchrist (Guilfoyle), Whitham, Adams, Lowe, McKay.

Unused Substitutes: Hough, Bunney.

Attendance: 1,403

Leave a comment