Tom Wardle Reports as Adams and Campbell take Marine into next round of Emirates FA Cup…

Kielen Adams’ and Hayden Campbell’s goals in either half gave Marine a 2-1 win in the Emirates FA Cup. Luca Navarro pulled one back in the final seconds for Radcliffe, but it was the Mariners who progressed into the competitions Second Qualifying Round.

The visitors headed into the tie with two wins from their last two games, though it was Marine that were creating the better chances early on.

Djavan Pedro soared out of the blocks and looked to threat Boro’s backline at every opportunity. He latched on the end of a poor backwards header but couldn’t quite pull his shot away.

Jack Dunn stepped up to take a free kick he won himself 25 yards out from goal, whipping his effort narrowly over the bar.

Then just after the half hour mark, Marine’s hard work granted a goal. Luke Clark swung in a free-kick towards the back post, the ball bundled back into the danger zone where Adams was there to score his first goal in a Mariners shirt.

The start of the second half proved a difficult task to Neil Young’s side. Radcliffe began to play with more intent and directness whilst pushing for an equaliser.

Bayleigh Passant had to dive at full stretch to keep out Ben Rydel’s fierce strike; his first save of the afternoon.

At the other end, Sean Smith picked out Alex Doyle whose close-range hit forced Thomas Stewart into a smart stop.

Dunn was enjoying himself around Radcliffe’s box. He weaved in and out of their defenders numerous times although couldn’t quite get the finishing touch to give his side some breathing space.

The hosts got even closer to making it two to the good, when captain Josh Wardle headed towards goal from Dunn’s corner. The ball had gone past goalkeeper Stewart but was cleared away on the goal line, keeping Marine’s lead at just the single goal.

Eventually, the Whites did double their lead, courtesy of Campbell who netted his first since moving to the Crosby club. Clark stepped forward from the back to involve himself again, as he cut the ball back from the wing to the feet of Campbell. The youngster set himself before rising the Marine Travel Arena to its feet.

However the home crowd didn’t get it all easy, as they had to watch the last minutes of the match anxiously, following Navarro’s late consolation. He tapped the ball home at the far post from Nicky Adams’ cross, but it was too little too late from Bobby Grant’s side.

A return to league action is next for the Mariners, when they travel to Bamber Bridge on Tuesday evening for a 7:45pm kick off.

Marine: Passant, Lussey (Campbell 62), Smith, Howarth, Wardle ©, Clark, C.Doyle, A.Doyle, Adams (Weir 61), Dunn (Bahula 82), Pedro

Unused Substitutes: Mendes, Spittle, Touray

Radcliffe: Stewart, Evans (Mills 57), Fitzpatrick, Joyce, Smith, Thornley, Crothers (Carter 81), Adams ©, Nivaldo (Meppen-Walter 74), Rydel, Navarro

Unused Substitutes: Karacan, Mercer, Lee, Grogan

Attendance: 865

Leave a comment