Marine suffered a serious dent in their title hopes, as a lack of cutting edge frustrates them to a 0-0 draw at home to Widnes.  

An injury to Joe White in the warmup meant that Neil Young had to alter his system just before kick-off, switching to a back three with James Devine joining Olly Muir and Mark Howarth in defence. Neil Kengni returned to a left wing back role, with Kielen Adams and Niall Cummins leading the line.  

Off the back of his goal against Mossley last week, Kengni had the first sight of goal for Marine, dragging his effort wide of the post.  

Widnes looked to flood Bayleigh Passant’s penalty area through a succession of free kicks, but Marine’s stopper dealt with every cross that came his way.  

Ryan Wignall almost carved out an opportunity for Marine to take the lead in the 37th minute after seeing his original effort blocked, but the midfielder was able to scoop a cross towards the back post, which Cummins came within inches of connecting with.  

At the end of the first half of little quality, neither goalkeeper had been seriously tested, bar a few routine catches from crosses.  

Into the second half and Hayde looked the most likely to create a clear-cut chance for the Mariners, whipping several inviting crosses into the penalty area, but Owen Wheeler remained untested in the Widnes goal.  

Sam Turner came the closest to giving the visitors the lead after being played in on goal, but his left-footed strike narrowly evaded the far post.  

Attacking duo Lewis Reilly and Owen Watkinson came off the bench to provide a missing spark to the game and looked bright after coming on, with Watkinson in particular looking to get in behind whenever possible.  

Muir connected with a free kick from Hayde and looked to direct it goalwards, Reilly got the final touch on it, but he could only send his header into the grasp of Wheeler.  

The long throw of Hayde looked to create problems for the Widnes defence, as Cummins flicked on at the near post for Reilly, but the forward could only head his effort over the crossbar.  

Reilly sent an inviting delivery in towards the back post and after a sequence of attempts, Widnes’ back line held strong to keep Cummins off the score sheet.  

The final whistle called an end to a frustrating afternoon for Marine, with results elsewhere all-but confirming Marine’s participation in the playoffs this season.  

Next up for Marine is a trip to Colne, who are currently 15th and were beaten 1-0 by the Mariners back in September.  

Attendance: 1121 

Marine: Passant, Hayde, Devine, Howarth, Muir, Lynch, Wignall (Reilly), Doyle, Cummins, Adams (Watkinson), Kengni 

Leave a comment