Tom Wardle Reports as a Goal at the Death Ends Marine’s Emirates FA Cup Journey…

Mitch Langton’s last-minute volley knocked Marine out of the Emirates FA Cup, as they lost 2-1 to Stocksbridge Park Steels at Bracken Moor this afternoon. The hosts took the lead in the second half through Ross Goodwin, though Jack Dunn levelled the game minutes later. Just when the tie looked to be heading to a replay, Langton found the back of the net, eliminating the Mariners in the Second Qualifying Round.

It was the Steels’ highest attendance in a match this season (254), largely due to the many away supporters who had made the trip east from Crosby.

The fixture’s opening moments saw two competitive sides registering little amount of efforts on target.

DJ Pedro got in behind from Dunn’s flick on, but instead of going for goal himself, he opted to a square ball into the feet of Lucas Weir. However the forward’s pass was intercepted and cleared away.

Stocksbridge did have the ball in the back of the net in the fortieth minute, but the linesman had already raised his flag; calling Thomas Poole offside.

After a goalless first 45, it was the visitors who looked the more brighter after kicking off the second half. Charley Doyle sent Harrison Davison-Hale scrambling to his left, after his well-struck volley narrowly evaded the crossbar.

Despite Marine’s pressure, it was the South-Yorkshire side who went ahead. Substitute Goodwin repaid his manager’s faith with his first touch since coming on, as he headed the ball into the back of the net from Thomas Poole’s free kick.

Dunn’s equaliser came minutes later. Kielen Adams held the ball before laying it off for Dunn who sweetly struck it home on his favoured left foot past the Stocksbridge ‘keeper.

Even though the hosts continued to sit back at 1-1, the Mariners struggled to create any opportunities on goal. Their best hope came from Jonathan Spittle’s through ball towards Callum Harris, but Davison-Hale was swiftly off his line to prevent the danger.

Then just as the game was petering out, Stocksbridge scored a winner. Poole had delivered an abundant of threatening crosses throughout the match from set-pieces, and this time he was on the money again. His ball found its way to Langton who made no mistake with his volley.

The Steels did have to see the game out with 10 men however, as substitute Kenan McKenzie-Grey was awarded a straight red card, after hitting out at Jordan Lussey in the amidst of the celebrations to their winning goal.

Marine will look to bounce back from their back-to-back defeats, when they travel to Ashton United next Saturday for a 3pm kick off.

Stocksbridge Park Steels: Davison-Hale, Lemon (Reynolds 89), Tinker, Langton, Oglesby, Prior (Goodwin 62), Turner ©, O’Connor, Rawson, Poole, Curtis (McKenzie-Grey 87).

Unused Substitutes: Kirkland, Norman, Ring.

Marine: Passant, Lussey, Smith, Howarth, Wardle ©, Spittle, C.Doyle, A.Doyle (Campbell 87), Pedro (Adams 54), Dunn, Weir (Harris 64).

Unused Substitutes: Clark, Mendes, Bahula, Touray.

Attendance: 254.

Leave a comment