Tom Wardle Reports as Mariners narrowly defeated in Warrington…

Marine suffer their second defeat in a week, as they lost 1-0 at Warrington Rylands on Monday afternoon. David Webb’s intelligent corner in the first half was the difference between the sides, in a game that saw minimal goalmouth action. The result guides the Mariners down into tenth place after playing six games across the Northern Premier League.

The Blues dominated the early proceedings at Gorsey Lane, as Marine struggled to get hold of possession. It appeared difficult for Neil Young’s side to execute their game plan on a much different pitch to their one at the Marine Travel Arena, where they played just two days prior.

Their best effort of the match came on the half hour mark. Mark Howarth’s lofted free kick just inside the Rylands half was met by the head of Charley Doyle. The midfielder connected well with the header that forced William Appleyard to acrobatically tip the ball over the crossbar.

Despite Marine now looking to grow into the game following that opportunity on goal, the hosts took the lead five minutes later. A corner routine from the training ground caught the defence off guard. Webb pulled into space inside the box and was picked out imminently. He struck the ball first time, finding the far corner of the goal, delighting the Rylands dugout.

Andrew Scarisbrick was a thorn in the side of the visitors throughout the 90 minutes. His mazy run starting from the halfway line almost saw him one on one with Bayleigh Passant, until Alex Doyle brought him down on the edge of the box, giving the referee his easiest decision of the afternoon when he cautioned the midfielder.

Entering the second half, Young looked to adjust the score line in the Mariners’ favour, by bringing on physical centre forward Kielen Adams and changing the formation into a back three.

A chance developed soon after, when Jack Dunn sent Hayden Campbell out wide from a short free kick. Campbell whipped in a dangerous cross, but no white shirt was able to get a touch on the ball.

Ryan Brooke’s daisy cutting shot from outside the area could have doubled Rylands’ lead in the 73rd minute, but Passant got down low to push the strike out for a corner.

The game started to fizzle-out before an altercation on the edge of the home side’s box saw both Sean Smith and Josh Langley carded for their respective teams, as it became a frustrating bank holiday Monday for the Mariners.

An opportunity for Marine to bounce back on Saturday, when they will host Radcliffe in the Emirates FA Cup First Qualifying Round. Kick-off is at 3:30pm at the MTA.

Warrington Rylands: Appleyard, Neild (McCourt 62), Mustoe, Morris, Langley, Furman ©, Hayde, Webb (Egerton 87), Brooke, Scarisbrick, Drummond (Dolan 80).

Unused Subs: Hunt, Irwin.

Marine: Passant, Ferguson, Smith, Howarth, Wardle ©, Weir (Adams 45), C.Doyle, A.Doyle, Campbell (Clark 79), Pedro, Dunn (Bahula 79).

Unused Subs: Mendes, Touray.

Attendance: 786

Leave a comment