Jack Dunn scored his first Marine goal and Mark Howarth headed in the second during a 2-0 win away at Glossop North End.  

Marine lined up in a 3-4-3 formation, with James Devine joining Mark Howarth and Olly Muir in the back line. Neil Kengni and Josh Solomon-Davies provided the width, as Lewis Reilly came in to partner Owen Watkinson in attack.  

The home side had the wind behind them in the first half and looked to make it count with long balls to Hugo Rodriguez to flick on for Jamie Rainford. 

Dunn had the first attempt on goal for Marine, which was saved comfortably by Harry Allen in goal.  

Rainford then went through on goal from the counterattack, forcing a great save from Bayleigh Passant.  

Glossop’s crossbar was rattled by an unlikely source on 20 minutes, as Josh Solomon-Davies arrived late at the back post, firing a header off the woodwork.  

Both sets of players appeared to be up for the fight, with a number of strong challenges flying in early on.  

Dunn broke the deadlock in the 35th minute in spectacular fashion, driving into space and firing a swerving effort into the top left corner from 25 yards, grabbing his first goal for the club in his second game.  

Into the second half and with the wind behind them, Marine looked most threatening from set pieces, delivered by Dunn.  

A host of corners, free kicks and long throws gave Glossop defending to do, but, on the whole, they stood firm.  

That was until the 60th minute, when another fantastic delivery from Dunn was met at the back post by Mark Howarth, who headed in to score his fifth goal of the season.  

Reilly looked to have helped the ball over the line, but the goal has been awarded to Howarth.  

The second goal appeared to knock the wind out of Glossop’s sails, as they struggled to produce many dangerous moments for the remainder of the match.  

Right wing back Solomon-Davies provided attacking threat throughout the afternoon, engaging in a fantastic individual battle with Sekuba Sanogo.  

Marine struck the bar for the second time in the 75th minute, as Reilly could not keep his header down from close range.  

In terms of substitutions, Neil Young brought on Kyle Hayde, marking his first appearance since picking up an injury away at Trafford. 20-year-old striker Keilen Adams also came on, making his debut after signing from Macclesfield Town for an undisclosed fee.  

The Mariners went on to see the game out, recording a fourth consecutive clean sheet with a 2-0 win.  

Today’s result sees Marine keep the pressure on Warrington Rylands at the top, with Workington also victorious.  

Marine: Passant, Solomon-Davies, Muir, Howarth, Devine, Barrigan, Watkinson (Adams), Clark (Lynch), Reilly, Dunn (Hayde), Kengni 

Leave a comment