Match report by Tom Murphy…

Marine triumphed to victory in Worksop with Joe Ferguson’s first half goal being enough for all three points. 

Marine’s victory meant that The Tigers were defeated at home for the first time for 19 months. 

Whilst having 10 men for over an hour, a sensational defensive performance from Neil Young’s side meant they returned to Merseyside three points to the good. 

19-year-old keeper Felix Goddard came to the rescue late on to ensure the win was secured. 

The home side were the team who started the better of the two. Several wasted chances within the first 20 minutes saw the score line remain level.

A first goal of the season for Ferguson saw the Mariners take the lead in the 30th minute. Connor Evans, who made his first appearance since his return to the club, did brilliantly to find the right back who calmly placed the ball into the bottom corner. 

Worksop skipper, Hamza Bencherif came closest for his side in the early stages after his headed effort from Paul Green’s corner clipped the top of the crossbar. 

A series of corners for the Tigers continued to pressurise the Marine back line but they held firm heading into the second half. 

A red card for Jonny Spittle in the 36th minute after a second bookable offence only made things more difficult defensively for Neil Young’s side. 

Minutes after Spittle’s dismissal,  Vaughan Redford smashed the right post as Marine’s defence continued to cling on. 

Play was disrupted after an unfortunate arm injury for Lewis Earl. The defender left the field in some discomfort at the end of the half. 

When play resumed for the second period the home side enjoyed lengthy spells of possession and this continued throughout the remainder of the encounter. 

With play being disrupted regularly, Worksop struggled to create any real chances, as Goddard was rarely called to action. 

After an hour played, Marine goalscorer Ferguson superbly cleared the ball off the line to deny a certain goal. 

Worksop’s momentous charge only increased as we entered the final 20 minutes but the Marine back line, led by Josh Wardle and Jalil Saadi remained firm. 

Chances flooded for The Tigers in the dying minutes and Goddard came to the rescue on two occasions with exceptional saves. 

After the Merseysiders battled their way to a well accomplished win they now return to The Marine Travel Arena on Tuesday night where they will face off against Workington. 

Worksop Town: 1 Sebastian Malkowski, 2 Regan Hutchinson, 3 Colin Daniel, 4 Samuel Wedgbury (Aleksandrs Starcenko 66′), 5 Hamza Bencherif, 6 George Taft (Jack Broadhead 85′), 7 Terry Hawkridge, 8 Paul Green (Josh Wilde 74′), 9 Luke Hall, 15 Vaughan Redford, 11 Jay Rollins 

Unused subs: 12 Ben Tomlinson, 18 Deegan Atherton. 

Marine: 1 Felix Goddard , 2 Joseph Ferguson, 3 Nathan Woodthorpe, 4 Jalll Saadi, 5 Jonathan Spittle, 6 Josh Wardle, 7 Owen Robinson, 8 Louis White, 9 Connor Evans (Michael Carberry 63′), 10 Sol Solomon (Toby Jones 90′), 11 Lewis Earl (Liam Nolan 45′)

Unused subs: 12 Kyle Hayde, 15 Manasse Mampala. 

Marine Man of the Match: Joe Ferguson 

Attendance: 672

Leave a comment